Tagging demoscene demos

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Aug 28 21:55:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:18:38PM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> available) and use::gameplaying. Given that many demosceners (including
> myself, as one of the upstream authors of Amoeba) don't really want to have
> their work associated with gaming, this is a bit unfortunate -- watching
> demos may be entertainment, but it's definitely _not_ gameplaying. (Having
[...]
> Any ideas on how to reorganize this best?

I remember when we briefly chatted about this on IRC that you mentioned
the word 'entertaining', and I think it's an interesting word.  It would
also fit, for example, a movie or a novel.  Example of other packages
that would fit in this are the Devil's Dictionary (dict-devil) and the
various funny manpages (asr-manpages, funny-manpages).  More
controversial example is the jargon file (in part it's entertaining, in
parts it's got a cultural relevance).

It all definitely doesn't fit into game.  use::entertaining would be
interesting, although I'd like something that centers roughly near
dict-jargon, and touches amoeba, dict-devil, asr-manpages and
funny-manpages.  And would encompass hypothetical packages such as
funny-sounds-archive, hitchickers-guide-to-the-galaxy,
gnutemberg-novels, computer-museum-hardware-manuals-from-the-70s.

Book-like or radio-like or movie-like entertainment of some sort.  Where
you absorb some sort of narration rather than exercise your skills.

What is a word to describe that?

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>