[Debtorrent-devel] Fwd: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:46:47 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
Date: Mar 27, 2007 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: BitTorrent Protocol Expansion (Google SoC)
To: Cameron Dale <camrdale at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 12:10:20AM -0700, Cameron Dale wrote:
> >> Are you suggesting that random people will use the same software for
> >> distributing their packages (i.e. setup their own tracker),
> > Well, their own swarm certainly, and their own seed. I wouldn't've
> > thought the tracker itself was such a big deal either way.
> I think the tracker might end up being one of the higher bandwidth costs of
> running an archive, depending on how it's implemented.

If that's the only problem, we've already won :) Whatever happens,
running a tracker is going to be less than hosting an archive of 10s of
GBs, and there're already ways of using multiple trackers and so forth.

> The application has been submitted, and can now be commented on publicly
> (perhaps to affirm your intention to mentor :) ).

Commented privately and marked as willing to mentor anyway :)

> Thanks for all your time, as I know you're busy, and I look forward to the
> possibility of working with you on this.

Likewise, but there's a _lot_ of good apps this year, so we'll have to
see what happens.

Cheers,
aj