[Demi-devel] Re: Developer for demi

Leo Eraly Leo Eraly <leo@realroot.be>
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:03:38 +0200

Hi Guys,

I've read the proof of concept code and i saw that
you use 'scp' to get the status of remote machines? Is this correct?

Before I saw this project I wanted to write my own tool.
And i had the following ideas about it, what do you think about them

First idea.

Work with a central deamon which has the information for all
the different hosts in the network.
With the following directory-structure on the server.
- Server

                CENTRAL SERVER
                WHICH HOLDS PKG DB

                                /var/cache/apt/demi/

                                                /var/cache/apt/demi/hostX

                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/hostX/hostinfo
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/hostX/keys
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/hostX/logs
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/hostX/state

                                                /var/cache/apt/demi/host*
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/host*/hostinfo
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/host*/keys
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/host*/logs
                                                                        /var/cache/apt/demi/host*/state (logged in xml perhaps?)

Then on the client side there should be a small program that runs from crontab and sends the necessary
data over to central server at certain times.
And when the server sends certain reply's about updates to the client , the client should fetch this updates
from the server.

2nd idea.

All the hosts in the network should run a small daemon on which the central server could connect.
So the central server pulls all the necessary data from the different hosts/clients and collects it.
And pushes the updates to the client.
Offcourse an extra daemon on every hosts is an extra open port and therefore a possible security risk.
But It can't be that hard to allow only connections to the client-daemons from trusted hosts.

And just like Andrew I also suffer from 'Pythonitis' ; I'am also looking for a good reason to start with python ;-)

These were just some of my rough ideas that i got during a nightly-brainstorm-session(so don't shoot me).
What do you guys think about it?

Groet

Leo