[Dict-common-dev] Re: Re. aspell Fixes pending upload

Brian Nelson nelson@bignachos.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:26:11 -0800

--=-=-=

Agust=EDn Mart=EDn Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es> writes:

>> These bugs are all fixed in the pending upload of Aspell 0.50.x, which
>> is currently being held back due to a licensing dispute that should be
>> resolved shortly.
>>
> Have you already notified maintainers of abiword and other apps using
> pspell that new aspell no longer has pspell support and that they must
> choose explicitely whether to use ispell or aspell in their apps?

No, not yet.  I was planning to wait until upload was imminent before
alerting them, since it's not clear when the licensing issues will be
resolved.  Also, I figured it was more of an upstream problem than a
maintainer problem.  Since pspell is deprecated, upstreams should be
moving away from it.

Note that the author claims that the new Aspell is backward-compatible
with the old aspell/pspell combo:

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/aspell/manual/user/2_Getting.html#SECTION0=
0354000000000000000

> I personally prefer the old way (pspell) of doing things, although it
> will become a dead end at some time, and would keep it until the affix
> compresion support is merged into aspell, but that is only my point of
> view.

Pspell is already considered a dead end, by the author anyway.  Affix
compression support is expected in the next release.

> I am cc'ing to the dict-common mailing list, since we were considering
> how to merge aspell into the Debian dictionaries policy at
>
> http://dict-common.sourceforge.net/
>
> and everything it had was for the old aspell.

Hmm, I'm not sure how the new Aspell would be integrated into that
policy.  It seems to be pretty much independent of ispell and its
dictionaries.  If there's anything I can do to help though, please let
me know.

> By the way, seems that the new libtool has fixed the hppa FTBFS bug,
> even with old aspell. I am trying that now, but I have to leave. Will
> try again tomorrow.

/me mutters some profanities regarding libtool under my breath...

=2D-=20
Curse my natural showmanship!

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--