[Dict-common-dev] Re: dictionaries-common system and new aspell passing to testing this weekend

Agustin Martin Domingo agmartin@aq.upm.es
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:18:00 +0200

Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Agustin Martin Domingo wrote:
>
>>So, if you intend to make a new upload soon please wait until your
>>current new policy package has passed to testing for that upload,
>>unless it is urgent. Also, if you did an upload very recently your
>>package will need some days to go into testing, please let it pass
>>before new uploads.
>

> Okay, I waited but my packages still didn't make their way into
> testing.  I had a short look into testing Packages file and found out,
> that only ispell, dictionaries-common, dictionaries-common-dev,
> miscfiles, wfrench, witalian, and wspanish use the new mechanism in
> it.
>
> Any idea why the other packages weren't transferred to testing?
> According to the following pages there is no cause for the delay:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hkgerman.html
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/igerman98.html
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=hkgerman
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=igerman98

Hi, Roland, (Hi, Anthony, I am cc'ing you for some light into this)

I have no idea now, since the problems I was aware of seem fixed, but
you are right, packages seem stopped for no good reason. These were the
previous problems:

* Packages that provide aspell dictionaries were delayed by a bug
   in binutils affecting gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.2 affecting new aspell,
   but I think this was fixed.

* Also the german98 dict was stopped due to a problem in its
   building  in m68k (it took too long and the autobuilder thought
   the process was idle), but this also seems fixed now.

but all seem fixed now. Looking more into the testing pages, I see

* ispell (3.1.20.0-1 to 3.1.20.0-1.6)

     * Maintainer: David Coe
     * 185 days old (needed 10 days)
     * Valid candidate

but on the other side, the testing page says that ispell cannot be
installed,

* Binaries from ispell 3.1.20.0-1.6 cannot be installed:

     * wbritish(sh)

This means that new policy ispell is not installed, but I do not
understand why (as far as I know sh does not stop packages from passing
to testing)

Looking at update_output.txt,

trying: ispell
skipped: ispell (998+8)
     got: 26+0: a-26
     * alpha: ibrazilian, icatalan, iczech, idanish, idutch, iesperanto,
ifaroese, ifinnish, ifinnish-large, ifinnish-small, ifrench,
ifrench-gut, igerman, ihungarian, iitalian, ingerman, inorwegian,
ipolish, iportuguese, irussian, ispanish, iswedish

but all them seem ready to pass along with ispell (although they
conflict with current ispell in testing via the dictionaries-common
package, that is already in testing)

The only reason I can think of is that ispell build-depends on wenglish,
which has a RC bug (#170490, who by the way should not affect at all and
also pass, since it is tagged 'sarge, sid, woody'), but I am not at all
sure of this,

I am rather confused about all this, Anthony, do you have any clue about
what are we missing here?, thanks for that.

Cheers,

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html