[Forensics-changes] [SCM] debian-forensics/reglookup branch, debian, updated. upstream/0.4.0-15-g76fe309

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:28:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:10:35 +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:

> Please do not write to -changes; this should be commits only.

Sorry, forgot to change the To: line.

> David Paleino wrote:
> >>     Not using copyright symbols.
> >
> > I disagree.
> > Please note that "(C)" is not legally valid.
> > The only valid "symbols" are:
> >
> > Copyright
> > ©
> > Copr.
>
> that is why we write:
>
> 	Copyright: (C) $YEAR $NAME.
>
> that contains the legally recognized 'Copyright' word.

Ok.

However, if not using ©, lintian throws copyright-without-copyright-notice.

> the (C) in favour of © is to not mess-up with people having non-utf
> charsets. that is why *I* don't like it (I'm aware that policy does
> already

I believe it already does (not that sure though), and also lintian throws an
error when not using UTF-8:

http://lintian.debian.org/reports/tags/debian-copyright-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding.html

> or will in future require UTF also for copyright files,

Isn't this a Lenny Release Goal?

> but that does not change the fact that not everybody has UTF on his client, or
> webserver or wherever it is displayed). YMMV.

Ack.
But, IMHO, we should standardize on using UTF-8. But, well, it's the same for
me at the end.

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino