[Glibc-bsd-devel] Re: comments on the FreeBSD packages

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:57:41 +0000

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:00:00PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:04:17PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > No hurry; when you do, please use the CVS at alioth (you have write access)
>
> Ok, uploading new source packages to gluck now. They are here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~utsl/sources
>
> The tarballs have changed (one reason I used native packages).

Are you sure you need that? Using native packages when the package is not
native brings trouble in some things. For example, the version numbers
won't be debian-style, you'll have to upload the complete tarball each
time you update a patch in the debian dir, etc.

Well you're the maintainer, so this just my suggestion. If you find that
using native brings trouble it can always be reverted later without much pain.

> I don't
> have time and energy to deal with merging to cvs today.

Uhm :(.. I understand that, but then I'd really prefer if you used cvs
instead of ~/sources.. I don't mean to interfer with your packaging task,
but if at some point there's something clearly broken it'd be nice if
there's more than one person around to fix it ASAP.

CVS also has the advantage that all changes are logged, so if something
breaks you can review the change history as an aid to fix it.

> I also forgot to
> load the binary packages onto my laptop, or I'd have uploaded them as
> well.

No matter (as long as we don't have to bootstrap them)

> You need the new libc5 packages before the utils package will build.

ok.

--
Robert Millan