[Glibc-bsd-devel] Re: comments on the FreeBSD packages

Nathan Hawkins utsl@quic.net
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:07:38 -0400

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 06:57:41PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 02:00:00PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > The tarballs have changed (one reason I used native packages).
>
> Are you sure you need that? Using native packages when the package is not
> native brings trouble in some things. For example, the version numbers
> won't be debian-style, you'll have to upload the complete tarball each
> time you update a patch in the debian dir, etc.

It's a temporary situation. The problem is that I'm trying to include
only the parts of the FreeBSD src tree that I need, but I've been adding
to the tarballs as I get things working.

I've been thinking about creating a package that has the tarball for
most of the src tree, excluding only things like gcc, and then
build-depend on it.

> Well you're the maintainer, so this just my suggestion. If you find that
> using native brings trouble it can always be reverted later without much pain.

That's what I'm planning on.

> > I don't
> > have time and energy to deal with merging to cvs today.
>
> Uhm :(.. I understand that, but then I'd really prefer if you used cvs
> instead of ~/sources.. I don't mean to interfer with your packaging task,
> but if at some point there's something clearly broken it'd be nice if
> there's more than one person around to fix it ASAP.
>
> CVS also has the advantage that all changes are logged, so if something
> breaks you can review the change history as an aid to fix it.

True. I'm just limited on time. Lately, I have been working long hours,
and have limited windows of time to get on the internet. :(

So I concentrate on what I can do at home.

> > I also forgot to
> > load the binary packages onto my laptop, or I'd have uploaded them as
> > well.
>
> No matter (as long as we don't have to bootstrap them)

No just build the new libc5, and the others will be fine. I added a
couple libs for some of the new utilities.

> > You need the new libc5 packages before the utils package will build.
>
> ok.

This is related to the fact that I'm not really done packaging this
stuff. I'm really at the point of making a build system that works, and
the packages are kind of incidental...

There are a _lot_ of scripts that will have to be written, and
configuration support for the various daemons and system utilities like
adjkertz or savecore.

So consider these packages to be in very early stages of development.

	---Nathan