[Glibc-bsd-devel] ia64 donation for GNU/KFreeBSD

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:57:45 +0000

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:16:05PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > That's very kind of you! Please could you tell us the estimated time
> > for that?
>
> Bdale told me that we better waited two months to have a new ia64 model
> that's going to be released soon.

I need to say that again. Bdale, that's _really_ nice of you :)

> So as we don't have a working ia64 port
> now, I think we can wait and polish the little issues on i386, to be
> more prepared with the new arch.

I believe we should run i386-kfreebsd-gnu on that box and use jails for
ia64 porting efforts as Nathan suggested.

The problem is that starting an ia64 port takes a lot of work. After writing
the ia64-kfreebsd Glibc headers we get to bootstrap Debian, which is almost
trivial but takes a really big lot of time (I enjoy playing human buildd
myself, but after bootstrapping Debian twice it gets pretty scary ;)).

> > We want to setup a box for our public repository and depending on
> > this ETA we might opt for waiting or using a cheap i386 box for now.
>
> If the machine is going to stay in Barcelona, we could setup a i386
> now and replace later with the ia64 once we have it. Robert or me could
> do the swap.

I recall hearing that you had access to some good bandwidth at ub.edu, and
Jordi (CCed) likewise but for SinDominio's network.

So unless Jordi beats us to death with his bandwidth it's fine for me =)

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)