[Glibc-bsd-devel] install

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:31:00 +0100

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:57:10PM +0100, Guischlouk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Finaly (I mean after 20 tries =) i manage to install the new tarball over
> a kfreebsd.

Woah. Kudos for you and your persistance! ;)

For those of you not knowing about the "new tarball", i built it using
fresh packages using "crosshurd". Which, btw, version 1.4 or later support
GNU/KFreeBSD. You can build your own tarballs using it. Have fun!

> The swap script works perfectly now, with the comments lines.
> But the native-install one not.
> It ended with a dpkg error about the sysvinit package.
> I managed to install it by hand (dpkg -i) and it works.

I hit this, too. Next time you (or anyone) installs, it'd help to log the
first install attempt with something like:

  /native-install 2>&1 | tee /tmp/log

> This script also ends with a message for the hurd install, and i think
> should not appear here (or not saying it is a hurd install ;)

Uhm.. yes. This won't be changed for now though, since crosshurd's primary
target is at installing GNU/Hurd.

> I also had to change the passwd by hand (the previous swap script take care
> of this).

You mean the "dpkg-reconfigure passwd" right? This was added by Guillem. I
think it's ok to add it to /native-install. Sounds that ok?

> But the point that disturb me the more is the fact that I also had to install
> the login package by hand because at reboot, I could not open a session.

Ouch. crosshurd doesn't install login cause on GNU/Hurd there's no "login"
package. It should be added to the packages/kfreebsd-gnu file in crosshurd.

I'll take care of that.

> The last point are just that I have to complete the network config by hand
> (no script setup like in previous tarball)

Sorry, I forgot that one. I'll add it manualy for now.

> and the fstab file (but the message
> at the end of the native script tells that you have to do it for the swap partition
> if needed).

You have to edit fstab by hand to add swap, but the default file should have
the root partition already (it's determined by calling mount).

Was the template file correct?

> That's all and it's great to have the system now.

:)

> One question, for the packages who depends on the libc6,

Do you mean "libc6", or "libc6-dev"? Teoricaly, only linux-gnu binary
packages should depend on "libc6". As for "libc6-dev" there's the common
error of hardcoding its dependency, and should be replaced by
"libc6-dev | libc-dev". Tell us the particular case you found if in doubt.

> you have to take the
> glibc-bsd ?

What do you mean with that?

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)