CUPS patch and request for review

Brian M. Carlson sandals at crustytoothpaste.ath.cx
Tue Nov 8 08:53:10 UTC 2005

I managed to patch CUPS with a fix so that it recognizes FreeBSD devices.
Basically, everywhere there was a "defined(__FreeBSD__)" I simply added a "||
defined(__FreeBSD_kernel__)".  Now, I know you are going to say that we are
much more like Linux (considering we are using glibc), but in this case CUPS
is interested in devices, which we don't share with Linux.  Therefore, I
believe the patch is correct.  With it, I can print to my HP DeskJet 5740
with the included CUPS driver and lpinfo gives me the following:

bmc at stonewall:/tmp$ sudo lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct usb:/dev/ulpt0
direct usb:/dev/unlpt0
file cups-pdf:/
bmc at stonewall:/tmp$

The patch is attached for those who want to review it or make comments on it.

Sometime today, I will probably submit the patch to the Debian maintainer if
noone has any comments.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals at crustytoothpaste.ath.cx>
Running on GNU/kFreeBSD; i686-pc-kfreebsd-gnu