[Gnome22-user] How to Sync Handspring Running PalmOS Using GNOME PIM Conduit?

Michael G. Morey mmorey@optivel.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:25:46 -0500

All,

I have a Handspring Treo I'd like to synchronize with Ximian Evolution
1.4 using the GNOME PIM conduit.  I'm running the GNOME 2.2 back port on
Debian Woody with kernel version 2.4.26 on a Dell Latitude D800, and
PalmOS v. 3.5.2H6.0.  I've launched the PamOS Devices applet, and a
Gnome Pilot Settings window appears.  I click 'Forward' to continue.
The default palm port device is /dev/pilot, which is a symbolic link to
/dev/ttyUSB0.  I don't in fact know if /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct
device.  I have the Treo connected to the bottom-left USB port on my
Dell Latitude D800 D/View advanced port replicator, and have no idea to
which device this corresponds, but see a message in /var/log/syslog:

Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-6.4,
assigned address 4
Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod
0x82d/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.

I'm guessing that the actual device should be /dev/ttyUSB4.  I have
read/write access to all the /dev/ttyUSB? devices, BTW.

The Gnome Pilot Settings 'Cradle Settings' dialog now appears as follows:

Name:       Cradle
Port:          /dev/ttyUSB4
Speed:       57600
Timeout:   2
Type:         USB

I click 'Forward' to continue.  I select 'No, I've never used sync
software with this pilot before.'  I enter a User Name and ID.  I'm not
sure that the exact values are critical at this point.  I click
'Forward' to continue.  I'm not at the 'Initial Sync.'  I'm instructed
to 'Please put pilot in Cradle (/dev/ttyUSB4) and press HotSync
button.'  I do so.  Nothing happens.  The Treo display reads,

Am I being naive in assuming that I can sync my Handspring Treo with the
GNOME 2.2 PIM conduit?  Can this be done?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

--
Michael Morey