[gopher] HTTP post over gopher (Was: Updated Gopher RFC)

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Fri May 11 05:28:45 UTC 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 19:57 , Driedfruit wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2012 17:34:21 +0300
> Kim Holviala <kim at holviala.com> wrote:
>
>> You could also just POST a normal HTML form to an gopher URL... With
>> a little bit of server fiddling (which is always easier than updating
>> all clients) a gopher CGI can read the HTTP POST just fine.
>>

> Looked good in theory.
>
> Lynx: Alert!: POST not supported for this URL - ignoring POST data!
>
> OverbiteFF: Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
> protocol() isn't associated with any program.
>
> floodgap proxy: Due to user abuse of this function, HTML documents may
> not be viewed directly.
>
> I didn't even had a chance to do server fiddling, POST data never
> reaches gophernicus (or any other server) in the first place.

You'll need a little fiddling on the server side or it won't work.

Hint: HTTP/0.9 and gopher are almost the same :-)

I'm gonna be drunk tonight, have a hangover tomorrow, then go see teh ladies (they go *wild* when I tell them "I do Gopher!").... I'll try to cook a proof of concept on sunday morning.

But this is seriously off-topic as this isn't RFC material at all.

- Kim