[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Nick Matavka n.theodore.matavka.files at gmail.com
Sat May 19 11:41:12 UTC 2012

On 19 May 2012 06:47, Nick Matavka <n.theodore.matavka.files at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 May 2012 08:44, Wesley Teal <wesleyteal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kim's got a list of documents that may be of use:
>> gopher://gophernicus.org/1/doc/gopher/
>>
>> As for item types here's one possible list that seems to conform more
>> or less to current practices:
>>
>>   0   Text file
>>   1   Directory
>>   2   CSO phone-book server
>>   3   Error
>>   4   BinHexed Macintosh file
>>   5   Any binary archive
>>   6   Uuencoded file
>>   7   Index-Search server
>>   8   Telnet session
>>   9   Binary file
>>   +   Redundant server
>>   T   tn3270 session
>>   g   GIF image
>>   I   Any non-GIF image file
>>   i    informational text
>>   h   HTML file or Web-link
>>   x   XML file
>>   d   Any document file (PDF, PostScript, or word processor formats)
>>   s   Any audio file
>>   ;   Any video file <--oddly, this is the most commonly supported
>> for video. I think it
>>                                   dates back to ye olden days.
>>
>> Most of these are defined in RFC 1436, but item types 'h', 'x', 'd',
>> 's', and ';' are extensions
>> that are fairly common in modern usage, but are not supported by all
>> clients. OverbiteFF recognizes 'd', 's', and ';'. Lynx recognizes 's'
>> and ';'. DiggerDwarf and redgopher recognize 's'. Type 'h' is
>> recognized by most clients.
>>
>> Some folks use 'p' for PDF, but at least one client (I can't remember
>> which) recognizes that as a PNG image file. Some folks use 'v' for
>> video, but I don't think any client supports it (I could be wrong).
>>
>> On 5/8/12, Wolfgang Faust <wolfgangmcq at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm considering writing an updated gopher RFC as per the suggestion in the
>>> (seriously off-topic) thread "Whatsmyip for gopher!". I'm looking for
>>> references to documents about gopher, particularly:
>>> * The URL scheme
>>> * A complete list of item types
>>> * What to do about that pesky terminating period?
>>> * Anything else you can think of
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wolfgang Faust
>>> 01010111 01101111 01101100 01100110

> I have an idea for selectors.  There is a large difference between
> word processing files and page layout languages, so I recommend
> keeping both d and p selectors.  d could be for word processing
> documents such as Word, OpenOffice, and WordPerfect, and p could be
> for page layout and markup languages such as LaTeX, PDF, PostScript,
> and Rich Text Format.  I've got a bunch of good ideas, so I've been
> working on a draft RFC that I will later publish.

Please view and change as you wish:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1etZFoaDuKpWWoG0MUcj9Pk4osc9jobzvL0a6TCnz22o/edit

I am simultaneously on IRC, server irc.freenode.org, channel
#GopherCon, nick xDIAMORPHINEx.

I like the MIME idea, but have only a foggy idea of how to document
it, if somebody could help me, that would be great.  Other things
could also be done.