Sys-V-Init scripts from upstart files

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:43:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

> > Marco, can you provide an example of an upstart script which is too
> > complex for automatic conversion to a System V init script?
> Upstart needs daemons which do not fork, most other init systems need
> daemons which do.

We could then still use
'start-stop-daemon --background daemon', can't we?

It's not as if it's hard to background a service which doesn't; it's
the other way round that is difficult. And getting the I/O right
sensibly.

Note that some init systems (such as minit) expect daemons to use
stdout/stderr for logging.
So getting a good handling of I/O (btw, one thing where sysvinit
really sucks...) right is one of the more difficult things here.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\