debian package and 0.39_beta thoughts

Xavier Oswald xoswald at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:10:38 UTC 2009

On 20:53 Sat 05 Dec     , PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started working on the debian package of the 0.39 version, but...
> what is this Makefile ?
>
> there is no way to produce a debian package with this Makefile,
> the installation process is interactive ????
>
> why the current Makefile from stable is not in this package ?
> It provides a dist target to produce the package, and the all target build
> in a non interactive mode the lisaac program, etc...
> If the current dist target is wrong it must be updated to generate the right .tar.gz
>
> there is also no tag corresponding to the "official" 0.39 beta version in the repository.
>
> could you add the tags in the repository and generate the .tar.gz using the right makefile
>
> that way it will ease a lot the packaging work.

Right. I missed this point since I was very busy last few months and didn't get
a look at the git evolution. :/

So we have 2 ways for solving this issue:
 - Re-do the Makefile as it was before
 - Add a debian patch for updating the current Makefile in the way we want.

> Debian part :)
>
> As I am using git-buildpackage to produce the debian package,
> I need three dedicated branch
>
> 'upstream' (equivalent of the current stable branch)
> 'debian'
> 'pristine-tar' for the pristine tar delta (this branch help to generate the tar.gz from the upstream branch)
>
> on the upstream branch there is tags for each package like this one upstream/0.13.1 etc..
> on the debian branch they lokks like debian/0.13.1-1 etc...
>
> so must we create thoses branches on the compiler.git repository.
> or must we create a dedicated repository for the debian packaging ?

If the team agree to move the stable branch to upstream it is done. We can
create the pristine-tar branch, it's not annoying. And the debian branch already
exists.

Greetings,
 ,''`. Xavier Oswald                         | xoswald at debian.org
: :' : Software Engineer at CALDERA GRAPHICS | http://www.caldera.eu