[Logcheck-devel] release/versioning/crit bugs

maks attems debian at sternwelten.at
Thu May 6 19:01:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 06 May 2004, Eric Evans wrote:

> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 08:29:15PM -0400, Todd Troxell muttered these words:
> > Also, does it seem like a waste of time to release fixes so often?  I've
> > never worked on a package such as this, and I wondered if I should be waiting
> > for more reports to come in.
>
> I'm glad you sent this email Todd, it ties in nicely with something
> I've been meaning to query you and the group about, (general direction
> of the project, release management, etc).

well 1.2.19 came a bit early, because 1.2.18 had no chance to migrate
for sarge and beside this was tested by mr. nobody.
never the less the change not to run as root was basicaly quite important.

> To this point, I have been hesitant to jump in on some of these bugs
> just because I'm a little leery of contributing to a "too many cooks"
> scenario. Not that I am suggesting that this is/has occurred, just that
> I don't have a feel, (yet), for what everyone else is doing and what
> the goals, (informal or otherwise), are for each release.

we shouldn't focus on a features driven release,
a time based approach would be perfect:
day x) 		version 1.2.y enters unstable
from day x to day x + 5) 	disruptible changes need to go in
day x + 5 until version 1.2.y enters sarge) 	minor tweaking + testing
perhaps accompanied by an upload to experimental or alioth?
1.2.y+1 ready for unstable
(and so on).

from my side I prefer to take up whatever seems appropriate.
when logcheck's permission are finally well set,
i'd love to focus on what _has_ to go in sarge namely good rules.

do not hesitate do jump in!
was nice to see the important patch you picked done.

a++ maks