[Openstack-devel] Current state of the Folsom packaging -- horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Nov 3 06:34:57 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 03:28 AM, Tim Spriggs wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>> On 11/02/2012 04:16 PM, Tim Spriggs wrote:
>>> That's great news! Something must have changed then because the
>>> packaged lessc broke on the minimal testing system I have setup for
>>> horizon. I think it couldn't find "node" via the "#!/usr/bin/env node"
>>> invocation.
>>>
>>> -Tim
>>
>> Well...
>>
>> zigo at GPLHost:<host>_ ~$ which node
>> /usr/bin/node
>> zigo at GPLHost:<host>_ ~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/node
>> nodejs-legacy: /usr/bin/node
>>
>> so that isn't a problem anymore.
>>
>> Thomas
>
> ... and yet, after installing horizon on a fresh node I don't have
> nodejs or nodejs-legacy.
>
> root at horizon:~# dpkg -l | egrep -i horizon\|dashboard\|nodejs
> ii  openstack-dashboard                2012.2-1
> all          OpenStack Dashboard
> ii  openstack-dashboard-apache         2012.2-1
> all          OpenStack Dashboard - Apache support
> ii  python-django-horizon              2012.2-1
> all          Django module providing web interaction with OpenStack
>
> root at horizon:~# dpkg-query -S /usr/bin/node
> dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/node
>
> I note that the build-script installs this manually so it exists on a
> machine that the packages have been built on but not a minimal testing
> machine.
>
> -Tim

Tim,

Currently, the only thing which uses NodeJS in Openstack is the embedded
version of the less css "compiler". That one is normally stored in
openstack-dasboard in /usr/share/openstack-dashboard/bin/less/lessc. But
in our Debian package, this isn't a file, but a symlink to
../../../../bin/lessc. This symlink target, in Debian, is in the
node-less package, which contains #!/usr/bin/nodejs (as requested by the
Technical Committee). So everything seems fine on that ground.

What was missing, IMO, was a dependency on node-less in the binary
openstack-dashboard. I have corrected this problem and added the
dependency. Thanks for making me do that! :)

Please do check again if Horizon works *with* the node-less package and
*without* the nodejs-legacy package install, but IMO it should (it does
for me).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)