[Po4a-devel]Re: Translating NEWS.Debian files: a (crude) first try

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:51:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> hmm, I'm now thinking on posponing these big moves and concentrating in the
> gcc-like syntax/wrapping stuff.

I've been testing Text::WrapI18N and it gives great results. With this
we'll be able to remove line breaks in a lot of messages and let this
module wrap the messages dynamically.

Now I have some questions about how you want to show the messages:

Should we attach "po4a::module_name" in front of all the messages?
And "po4a" for all that comes from the main program?

If the message is more than one line long, how should the other lines
begin? with the same stamp (1), spaces (2) or nothing (3)?

(1)
po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
po4a::man: test message.

(2)
po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
            test message.

(3)
po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
test message.

For the errors, we should begin the messages with "file:line: " (the
gcc-like syntax). Should this appear just on the first line or in all the
lines of the message?

Should these error messages also contain the module stamp commented above,
or we suppose that people already knows what module comes it from? If
affirmative, it should appear just in the first line (1) or in all (2)?

(1)
file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example
file.doc:4: error, this is an example error

(2)
file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example
file.doc:4: po4a::man: error, this is an example error

You can also propose other styles. Thanks for your patience ;)

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta