[Po4a-devel]Re: Translating NEWS.Debian files: a (crude) first try

Denis Barbier barbier@linuxfr.org
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:51:48 +0100

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:51:20PM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
[...]
> Now I have some questions about how you want to show the messages:
>
> Should we attach "po4a::module_name" in front of all the messages?
> And "po4a" for all that comes from the main program?
>
> If the message is more than one line long, how should the other lines
> begin? with the same stamp (1), spaces (2) or nothing (3)?
>
> (1)
> po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
> po4a::man: test message.

IIRC this is the current implementation, but I for one do not like it.

> (2)
> po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
>            test message.
>
> (3)
> po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
> test message.

If the madule name is short, I prefer 2 > 3 > 1.
When it is long, either 3 > 2 > 1 or 2 > 3 > 1.

> For the errors, we should begin the messages with "file:line: " (the
> gcc-like syntax). Should this appear just on the first line or in all the
> lines of the message?
>
> Should these error messages also contain the module stamp commented above,
> or we suppose that people already knows what module comes it from? If
> affirmative, it should appear just in the first line (1) or in all (2)?
>
> (1)
> file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example
> file.doc:4: error, this is an example error
>
> (2)
> file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example
> file.doc:4: po4a::man: error, this is an example error

As with module name, I believe that repeating filename and line numbers
is not necessary and make error messages less readable.

> You can also propose other styles. Thanks for your patience ;)

Maybe
  file.doc:4: po4a::man
  this is an example error, this is an example error, this is an
  example error

Denis