[Po4a-devel]Re: Translating NEWS.Debian files: a (crude) first try

Martin Quinson martin.quinson@imag.fr
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:16:04 +0100

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:51:48PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:51:20PM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> [...]
> > Now I have some questions about how you want to show the messages:
> >=20
> > Should we attach "po4a::module_name" in front of all the messages?
> > And "po4a" for all that comes from the main program?
> >=20
> > If the message is more than one line long, how should the other lines=
=20
> > begin? with the same stamp (1), spaces (2) or nothing (3)?
> >=20
> > (1)
> > po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
> > po4a::man: test message.
>=20
> IIRC this is the current implementation, but I for one do not like it.
>=20
> > (2)
> > po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
> >            test message.
> >=20
> > (3)
> > po4a::man: this is a test message, this is a test message, this is a
> > test message.
>=20
> If the madule name is short, I prefer 2 > 3 > 1.
> When it is long, either 3 > 2 > 1 or 2 > 3 > 1.

If we manage to get 2, I like it the best. I dunno, it looks hard to do and
thus cool. ;) 3 is good, too, if we have to.
=20
> > For the errors, we should begin the messages with "file:line: " (the=20
> > gcc-like syntax). Should this appear just on the first line or in all t=
he=20
> > lines of the message?
> >=20
> > Should these error messages also contain the module stamp commented abo=
ve,=20
> > or we suppose that people already knows what module comes it from? If=
=20
> > affirmative, it should appear just in the first line (1) or in all (2)?
> >=20
> > (1)
> > file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example
> > file.doc:4: error, this is an example error
> >=20
> > (2)
> > file.doc:4: po4a::man: this is an example error, this is an example=20
> > file.doc:4: po4a::man: error, this is an example error
>=20
> As with module name, I believe that repeating filename and line numbers
> is not necessary and make error messages less readable.
>=20
> > You can also propose other styles. Thanks for your patience ;)
>=20
> Maybe
>   file.doc:4: po4a::man
>   this is an example error, this is an example error, this is an
>   example error

file:line: (po4a::module)
           toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto=20
           toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto tutu toto=20
	   ?

It has the advantage of being easily readable. The best would be to use the
following value as indentation offset: >>max(length("$file:$line: ",10))<<
It would ensure that things keep readable when dealing with the file
=2E./../../../../toto/tutu/tata/titotu/blabla/parts/sections/paragraphs/par=
agraph32.xml

But as usual. If you're the one coding, you're the one imposing your vision
of the world ;)

Thanks for your time, Mt.

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o--