[Po4a-devel] Translatable attributes in HTML

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Wed Aug 8 10:52:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:50:21PM +0200, Yves Rutschle wrote:
> > Note also that you may want to try the xhtml module. It may provide
> > a better result (even if it's for regular HTML and not XHTML).
>
> I second that.

Unfortunately the XHTML backend is not suitable for us.  Our pages are
XHTML, but they only become valid when the web server processes the
various #include directives.

> Turns into 3 msgids:
[...]
> This is awkward at best, but worse is that it won't help
> translation in many languages.

Yes, this violates the rule of thumb for i18n not to break sentences in
this manner.  It becomes even worse if you have things <em>like</em>
<i>this</i> where in some languages you have to insert a preposition or
something else between them.

OTOH, Html.pm produces markup-free POT files, which is very good for our
purpose: to separate the content entirely so the translator doesn't have
to repeat the error-prone process of duplicating the markup.  But if it
turns out that it is not possible to translate the content properly in
some languages, this gain means nothing.

Sigh...