[Po4a-devel] Translatable attributes in HTML

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Wed Aug 8 11:46:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:16:51PM +0200, Yves Rutschle wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:52:47PM +0300, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> > Yes, this violates the rule of thumb for i18n not to break
>
> Oh, that reminds me of another problem: if somewhere else you write
> that you <em>like</em> HTML, po4a helpfully assumes 'like' in 'like
> this' and 'like' in 'I like it' are the same. That rarely produces
> useful content in other languages :-)

Argh :-(

> I think you need to assess your exact need: If the need is to
> translate the Web pages as they are, then there is little other choice
> but to have the translator handle the inline markup (in my first
> example, only the translator can decide to turn "the 4<sup>th</sup> of
> July" into "Le 4 juillet").

It's a judgement call: it has to be as easier as possible, but proper
translation to literally any language on Earth is a must.  I guess in
your above example we would just modify the original English page as a
workaround.

The problem is that we don't have a choice, really: po4a with `-f xhtml'
exits with an error (quite correctly) when operating on a file of ours,
while `-f html' has this huge disadvantage...