[Po4a-devel] po4a & Markdown

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 28 08:04:52 UTC 2015

[re-adding po4a development list as cc]

Quoting Sergey Korobitsin (2015-01-28 04:46:01)
> Jonas Smedegaard ☫ → To Sergey Korobitsin @ Tue, Jan 27, 2015 13:39 +0100
>>> what is the way to translate Markdown-formatted text with po4a?
>>> Explicit type 'markdown' is not supported, and the only mention of
>>> Markdown I found is in /usr/share/perl5/Locale/Po4a/Text.pm, my
>>> Perl-fu is not enough to dig harder.
>>
>> Thanks for your interest in po4a.
>>
>> Here's how to enable the mardown support:
>>
>>   po4a-gettextize -f text -o markdown ...
>>
>> Hope that is enough of clue for you.
>
> Thanks! I'm using integrated po4a binary, but I've already found a way
> to pass the option ("opt:" in config file).

Hmm, not sure if you mean to say that it isn't working or that you
solved the problem on your own.  Obviously I hope it is the latter :-)

>> Also, I hope you don't mind that I shared my response with the public
>> po4a mailinglist so that others might stumble across our conversation
>> too.
>
> Of course.
>
> P.S. As I've found, not all features of Markdown are supported,
> the first one is old style headers (==== and ----). But they are
> preserved in PO file, so that's not a big problem.

My goal was to parse not all Markdown markup but the least possible to
not break when tumbling it through po4a.  As I recall, I found old-style
headers to cause problems treated as plain text - what (non-big) problem
do you see with it?

 - Jonas