[Shootout-list] Updates for Haskell benchmarks.

JP Bernardy jyp_7@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tests like Sieve are "same way" (which begs the
> question "same as
> what?" - in the original presumably the same as C).
>
> "Since the purpose of the same way tests is to try
> to compare, side by
> side, the same kind of operation in one language as
> in another, they
> often use code that is naive and unidiomatic by
> design."

True enough, but a lot of latitude has already been
allowed...

"Since functional languages have such a different mode
of expression, they are allowed more leeway"

I personally prefer to interpret the "same way" as
"using the same algorithm".

> My ignorance of Haskell is profound, but shouldn't a
> Haskell
> implementation of Sieve use Haskell arrays?

That can be done, but I'd rather see haskell removed
from the shootout altogether. Haskell is a declarative
language by nature, so one may/should not control in
detail what is done "under the hood". Actually,
nothing prevents a compiler to use arrays to implement
the sieve.

If that's absolutely needed, it is possible to emulate
imperative behaviour (using the IO monad and IO
arrays)  for detailed control, but it is strongly
discouraged.

Since the shootout is supposed to evaluate languages,
I think resorting to such techniques can give a wrong
idea of what haskell is, and thus should be avoided.

Cheers,
JP.