[Shootout-list] Updates for Haskell benchmarks.

Wolfgang Müller Wolfgang.Mueller2@uni-bayreuth.de
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:25:23 +0000

> That can be done, but I'd rather see haskell removed
> from the shootout altogether. Haskell is a declarative
> language by nature, so one may/should not control in
> detail what is done "under the hood". Actually,
> nothing prevents a compiler to use arrays to implement
> the sieve.

I am a looking-from-time-to-time-at-functional-programming newbie, and after
all I've seen of Haskell, I wholeheartedly agree.

IMHO there should be two sets of benchmarks. One set evaluating programming
techniques (so you can see, "avoid technique X in language Y") and one set
solving a given problem ("Sieve is a two-liner in language Z!"). Like that
the benchmark can be benchmark and cookbook at the same time.

Nobody will program sieves using Haskell arrays, the same way as noone will
program a while loop using recursion in C.

Cheers,
Wolfgang