[Shootout-list] process creation & message passing chain

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:43:30 +0100

Isaac Gouy wrote:
...deleted
> If we worried then we would be taking timings in the program code,
> directly before and after the code sections we wanted to measure ;-)

this has been discussed and rejected before. i do not have the time to
locate it, but my memory claims that:
at the time the conclusion was that we would exchange a single known and
same-for-all-languages timer with multiple different-for-all-langugaes
timers.

>>how about a 3;rd argument (T?). it could be used to loop over the
>>test ''body'' T times, so that the total time for a test would be
>>(time-for-1-test)*T. T would have to be trial-and-errored until the
>>shootout machine/os gives us a measurable time.
>

> We've been here before :-(
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2004-October/000651.html

there is nothing in the mail you refer to that discuss a tunable test time.
perhaps you meant another mail?

...deleted
> They are illegible at present, because of the amount of data crushed
> into them, and other choices.

the graphs are of low value since they have a very limited amount of
data. the value of n is hobbled/limited by the requierment(?) that the
maximum value for any languge must also be used by all other languages.

i would very much like to know if/why this is absolutly neccessary?

bengt