[Shootout-list] Safety vs. speed

Brian Hurt bhurt@spnz.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Einar Karttunen wrote:

> I think the tests *should* note implementors when they have to be
> wary of overflow.

Why stop at just this feature?  Personally, of all the features I look at
in a language, wether or not integer overflows are a problem is way down
on my list (most of the time that I'm counting things with integers, I'm
hitting other limitations long before I'm overflowing integers).

Things like wether a language is garbage collected, wether it has strong
static typing and type inference, what the main paradigm of the language
is, etc.- these are much more important features.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian