[Shootout-list] Integer overflow

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:18:15 -0700

Peter Hinely wrote:

> You are acessing your array with an int index or the
> equivalent, right?
> Then it is a safety issue because you are *assuming* that the
> array index has not overflowed.

If my short quip didn't make the point before, I'll make it explicitly.
All programming languages allow mistakes.  When evaluating languages,
all we can do is decide what class of mistakes are allowed, and what are
not allowed.  I say, for any primary 'front and center' Shootout rating,
we have to assume a least common denominator of allowable language
mistakes.  Or greatest common factor, if you think I've got my
mathematical terminology backwards.  :-p

This renders this whole discussion about integer overflow fairly
irrelevant.  Unless you want to define and implement "the separate
integer overflow benchmark."  Similarly, one could define and implement
the separate garbage collection benchmark, the separate threading and
concurrency benchmark...

What scope of problem are you planning to concentrate on?  Are you
volunteering to spec out "the separate integer overflow benchmark,"
devise a scoring system, and implement it?  If this is just an academic
discussion about who's right or wrong about integer overflow issues, I'm
thinking it's a waste of time.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur