[Shootout-list] Re: Integer overflow

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:09:06 -0700

Peter Hinely wrote:

> I proposed displaying some additional aspects about the
> implementation.  Then person visiting the web site can decide for
> themself what's important for *their* needs.

This I do not exactly like.  You seem to be subscribing to an
"information overload" school of thought about what the Shootout is
supposed to do.  I would offer up Viewperf
http://www.specbench.org/gpc/opc.static/vp8info.html as a sane point of
comparison.  Please note the blurbs about how the scoring system works,
what it does and doesn't do.  I'd be willing to work on defining and
simplifying the core Shootout scoring system so that it's commercially
meaningful.  But that is also a question of collective will.

> You dismissed integer overflow as not being important. If you
> feel that
> way, fine, but you don't have to force your view on every
> visitor to the Shootout pages.

I feel we do indeed have to force a core view on every visitor to the
Shootout pages.  Otherwise, the Shootout turns into noise.  Too many
things being measured, too many factors buried in the details.  Too much
slop verifying everything because it's too complex.

I don't have any problem defining core views vs. peripheral views.
Integer overflow is definitely peripheral, however.  It should not be in
there 'flat' with everything else, on an equal footing.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie