[Shootout-list] Windows

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:58:40 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted
> It seems I've been caught at how much attention I actually pay to
> things.  I didn't realize the revived Shootout doesn't support Windows.
> I see this as a problem.  Is there any particularly good reason why UNIX
> and Windows testbeds should be kept separate from each other?  I myself
> am not thinking of one.  What about Mac OS X nowadays, for that matter?

the reason that the testbeds are keep seperate is that some languages
(versions of) only exist for one of the platforms. if you only have
cross platform languages it would be possible to have a cross platform
testbed.

there was also the inclusion of better time and memory measurements
introduced on the windows version.

to have a cross platform testbed would be a good idea since i am sure
that the relative scores would be different on gnu/linux and windows. i
know that some relative scores are different on gnu/linux and solaris.

as usual :-) i will here state that while i do support this idea in
principle i have myself never mentioned it since i know i do not have
the time to do it.

bengt