[Shootout-list] commercial benchmarks

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:30:17 -0700

On 2004-09-26 21:15:50 -0700 Brandon J. Van Every
<vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:

>> Brandon, simply declare a new industry standard *MAIN BENCHMARK* as
>> tests x,y,z and publish.
>
> To pursue the marketing agenda I think proper, I may very well have to
> do that.  I'm not convinced that you, or other parties here, have much
> interest in professional quality, commercially viable benchmarks.  A
> lot
> of things need to happen to make a benchmark visible and important to
> PHBs.  I'm not sensing any basic will - or even basic understanding -
> around here about how to take that on.  I think the Shootout is likely
> to remain 'hacker ken'.  It may convert some guys who play with
> languages in their spare time... it's not going to persuade anybody to
> change their business model.

A lot would have to happen to make the benchmark PHB-suitable.  For
example,

1.  It's only kept up-to-date under Unix.  No volunteer has stepped
forward to
  run the tests under Mac OS X or Win32.  This would be a big help.
2.  It doesn't have any corporate backer or other rubber stamp entity
to provide
  the kind of glossy brochures PHB's like to line their nests with.
3.  It's a volunteer effort, so doesn't have any set publishing dates
or language
  inclusion policies.  Basically, I include what I can easily install
on my machine.
  I'm not overly concerned with dealing with companies and trying to
extract
  licenses to allow me to run tests.  Microsoft's C# license actually
prohibits someone
  like me from running benchmarks on their software.

I'm not exactly sure which of these items (or perhaps some other items
you have
identified that I didn't cover) you are proposing to address (if any).

-Brent