[Shootout-list] commercial benchmarks

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:48:27 -0700

Brent Fulgham wrote:

> A lot would have to happen to make the benchmark PHB-suitable.  For
> example,
>
> 1.  It's only kept up-to-date under Unix.  No volunteer has stepped
> forward to
>   run the tests under Mac OS X or Win32.  This would be a big help.

These aren't the bottleneck to commercialization.  The real bottleneck
is your cultural orientation.

> 2.  It doesn't have any corporate backer or other rubber stamp entity
> to provide
>   the kind of glossy brochures PHB's like to line their nests with.

These can be obtained if someone has the will to obtain them.  But it is
indeed a serious business / marketing agenda, a lot of legwork.  Which
brings us to the crux of the matter, below:

> 3.  It's a volunteer effort, so doesn't have any set publishing dates
> or language
>   inclusion policies.  Basically, I include what I can easily install
> on my machine.
>   I'm not overly concerned with dealing with companies

This is just your cultural choice.  You choose to have 'hacker
volunteer' culture.  I have 'be relevant to PHBs' culture.  That means
setting things like publishing dates, language inclusion policies,
benchmarking standards, seeking industrial partnerships, etc.  All of
these things can be done on a volunteer basis, you're just not
volunteering to do any of 'em.  Probably sounds too much like real work
for you.  To me, all open source development is real work.  I don't do
it for fun, I do it to advance whatever business agenda I think I'm
currently pursuing.

> and trying to extract licenses to allow me to run tests.
> Microsoft's C# license actually prohibits someone
>   like me from running benchmarks on their software.

I have trouble believing that.  Please provide evidence for your claim.

> I'm not exactly sure which of these items (or perhaps some
> other items you have
> identified that I didn't cover) you are proposing to address (if any).

I can't address your core culture.  I can only ask if anyone else on the
list shares my culture.  If it's just me, I'll go find another way to
pursue my goals.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.