[Shootout-list] Re: commercial benchmarks

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:09:02 -0700

Alan Post wrote:
> Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> >
> > perhaps it would be possible for you to take as much as the license
> > allows of the shooutout, and create another benchmark site?
> > while not the best solution it might be the simplest.

An idea I agreed with...

> You are apparently unfamiliar with Mr. Van Every.  His MO is to show
> up on a list, flame everybody for not doing what he wants, and then to
> move on to another list.  Most recently he was doing this on the ocaml
> lists.

Actually I gave up on caml-list.  It's the province of techies, not
marketers or businesspeople.

On ocaml-biz, we developed some tangible proposals for action.
Unfortunately, that community doesn't have the political will to execute
them.  You haven't posted once in that venue, so pardon me if I dismiss
your comments as uninformed.  Actually, one reason some OCaml-ites are
floating around here is we recognized the possible strategic importance
of OCaml's showing in the Shootout.  But nowdays, I'm thinking the
Shootout will fail to change any PHB's minds.

I'm unimpressed with the ocamlgames list, and again I haven't seen you
contribute to that forum.  So again, I'm not sure why your opinion of me
matters.

> You should not expect him to actually *do* anything constructive.

And your interest in commercially viable benchmarks is what, exactly?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"Troll" - (n.) Anything you don't like.
Usage: "He's just a troll."