[Shootout-list] logarithmic scoring system

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:59:13 -0700

Brent Fulgham wrote:

> I'm not really interested in changing the current logarithmic scoring
> system.  It works like this:

Are you saying that you insist on having a logarithmic scoring system?
This is doable regardless of whether it's a "low scores are better" or
"high scores are better" system.  Displaying scores logarithmically is
just post-processing.

Or are you saying that you are lazy and don't wish to change anything
about the current scoring system?  To that, I would say that the problem
of programs taking ridiculously short periods of time as computers get
faster is not going to go away.  In this case I believe good design
should win over laziness.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur