[Shootout-list] logarithmic scoring system

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:07:46 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted

> Why do you want to determine by hand, or by multiple runs, what would be
> a natural consequence of an additive system?  Most mathematicians set
> the origin at zero for a reason, you know.  Whatever a test gets done in
> 60 seconds would be whatever it gets done.

''x per second'' is much more difficult to measure than ''time to do x''

one way would be to increase n for, say, the ack test until it takes one
second. this would be a very high penalty for the languages that take
one second to start. that is solved by using more than one second.

it would also take a long time to run all tests on all languages since
we are using trial-and-error to find the right n for each language. the
nice thing is that we would not have to rerun any test unless the
language/operating system/hardware changed.

the alternative would be to run te test with a very high n, and
interrupt the test after a certain time. this seems error prone to me,
as the language would have to be interrupted in a polite manner.
otherwise we would loose the value we want from the test (the x times it
managed to do the test). moreover, some test are not possible to do this
way (reverse).

...deleted

> Why do you want to spend time redesigning and manually futzing things?

i do not want to. i would prefer not to redesign. but i admit the
possibility of errors.

bengt