[Shootout-list] Optimizing for speed vs. beauty

William Douglas Neumann wdnx@unm.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:26:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> If I understand the goals of the PLEAC project correctly, they are way
> ahead of you in their thinking.  If you want to address 2., talk to
> them.  They may not have exactly your goals, but they're similar, and
> you can probably steer them towards what you're after.
> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

I'm pretty sure that's not the goal of PLEAC.  Their goal is to more or
less translate the Perl Cookbook into sort-of/kind-of, but not fully
idiomatic code in other languages.  From their FAQ:

<<I think it is important that we try as much as possible to keep a
consistent style across the implementations, and across the solutions
inside an implementation. In other words, we should try to keep an
homogeneous level of complexity, of obfuscation, of detailing, of
commenting, and of "tutorialing".

 	<snip>

That is, as in translating human language, capture the intent and style
of a solution. That is, don't solve a completely different problem, and
don't solve the problems in a completely different way, but don't do a
word for word translation.>>

So they aren't really optimizing for beauty either -- they want to stay
close to the Perl way where possible.

William D. Neumann
<wdnx@unm.edu>

FWO to the Nth degree!!!
---
Dear Lord, please make me the kind of person
my dog thinks I am.