[Shootout-list] Re: Integer overflow, massivly parallell

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:50:19 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted
> This is another instance of the "I have to guess N" problem, BTW.  It
> seems it's not actually somebody-else's-problem.  Timer-driven tests
> would fix that, no more N-guessing.  You'd just spawn as many threads as
> you can within the allotted test time.

sure it is somebody-else's-problem. brents, in this case. :-)

how do you stand on the subject of having to check the timers all the
time during the test? will that not influence the test result? ie, a
language with fast timer access will get better score that a language
with slow timer access.
which is ok for a timer test, but this is a thread spawn test.

soething similar could be argued for a language with really inexact
timers that will let the test run for a longer time.

bengt