[Shootout-list] Re: Integer overflow, massivly parallell

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:52:06 -0700

> Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > > even Erlang starts to choke at the  high end
> > > (not completing the test for 1,000 messages in less than 20
> seconds...
>
> Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> > i would suggest that we use less processes. halve them a few times
> > until you get a sensible number of tests for various n's.

This is another instance of the "I have to guess N" problem, BTW.  It
seems it's not actually somebody-else's-problem.  Timer-driven tests
would fix that, no more N-guessing.  You'd just spawn as many threads as
you can within the allotted test time.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur