[Shootout-list] preserving historical data

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:18:18 -0700

Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> ...deleted
>
> > I've been avoiding the word, but I will invoke the principle of
> > Curiosity.  You're not even vaguely curious how language
> > technology is changing over time?
>

> curiosity would be best served by a live test with several
> versions of the same languages available in the shootout.

Why do you assume old software on old machines *WILL WORK NOW ON NEW
MACHINES?*

Somebody did the work.  Leave it alone.  Don't throw it away.

> i think that if we want to have comparable data in the
> archive that data
> needs close to the same amount of maintainance as a live test.
> this is just an opinion.

I disagree, because every old thing in the PC industry breaks.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur