[Shootout-list] X per second scoring system, resume

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:00:14 -0700

Einar Karttunen wrote:

> This is made even further bad by generational garbage collectors with
> patterns like:
>
> WWWgWWWgWWWGGWWWgWWWg (where g < G)

But this is like anything else.  You run over a large number of seconds
to average these errors.  If your G spikes are really huge, then you
need to run for a much larger number of seconds.  A garbage collector
isn't special, it's an implicit algorithm, just like a memory cache
hierarchy or pathological test case is implicit in whatever you're
doing.  You just need to be aware that high variance == more testing
time to be accurate.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.