[Shootout-list] X per second scoring system, resume

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:30:51 -0700

Einar Karttunen

> Timers will make things harder as:
> * Timers can add considerable overhead depending on the language

Well, assuming you mean performance overhead, some languages inherently
have that.  Not exactly the timer's fault.  It's pretty much what we're
aiming to measure, this language-specific overhead.  Slop due to timer
isn't worse than slop due to everything else, if it's the same order of
slop.  The only real problem is if an otherwise very precise language
has a very imprecise timer.

> * Results will vary very much in garbage collected languages

How is that specific to timers, or amplified by timers?

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.