[Shootout-list] X per second scoring system, resume

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:20:51 -0700

Einar Karttunen wrote:

> But should every test measure how efficiently the language can
> implement timers?

Well, even START(), RUN(ntimes), STOP() from within the test, instead of
outside, would be far more accurate for determining actual startup and
shutdown times.

> This is making things more complex and swapping somewhat understood
> overheads for new overheads.

Startup and shutdown overhead are not well-understood on a per-test
basis, at present.  Given a general lack of precision, I don't see
reasonable fear in 'new overheads' compared to 'old overheads'.  I do
see a reasonable fear of implementation work.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.