[Shootout-list] X per second scoring system, resume

Einar Karttunen ekarttun@cs.helsinki.fi
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:35:09 +0300

On 30.09 05:30, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Well, assuming you mean performance overhead, some languages inherently
> have that.  Not exactly the timer's fault.  It's pretty much what we're
> aiming to measure, this language-specific overhead.  Slop due to timer
> isn't worse than slop due to everything else, if it's the same order of
> slop.  The only real problem is if an otherwise very precise language
> has a very imprecise timer.

But should every test measure how efficiently the language can
implement timers?

This is making things more complex and swapping somewhat understood
overheads for new overheads.

- Einar Karttunen