[Shootout-list] Large benchmarks made small

Sebastien Loisel Sebastien Loisel <sloisel@gmail.com>
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:18:39 -0800

As I toil away on my medium sized numerical benchmark, I've been
mulling over a possibility. The benchmark I have actually could break
up into several small benchmarks, except for the final benchmark which
needs the previous code. Most languages have an #include facility, so
what I could do is check in several benchmarks, with a special note
that the last one requires all the previous ones to function.

To make this explicit, I could stick "automatic differentiation" in
one file, with a couple of tests, "newton iteration" in another file,
with a couple of tests, and a mega-test "implicit-ode" in a third
file, which uses automatic differentiation and newton iteration.

The advantage is that the benchmark files are a more digestible size,
but the disadvantage is that it'll add a lot more benchmarks to the
shootout.

Which do you guys prefer?

Cheers,

Sebastien Loisel