[Tahoe-debian] package review

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Mon Apr 25 22:14:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

Sorry for replying so late, I was offline the last 3 days...

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 01:27:17PM -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:

> I just reviewed the package that is the current git HEAD, and it looks
> good!

Great.

> Some notes:
>
> I'm not sure what the munin plugin policy is... right now the plugins
> are being installed in /usr/share/munin/plugins and a config is placed
> into the munin/plugin-conf.d directory... Is this how it is supposed to
> work? What happens when munin-node isn't installed on the system?

Seems that some packages are already installing stuffs in
/etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/, namely ekeyd or virt-goodies, so I guess it
isn't as unusual as I believed. Usually this is the place where plugins
configuration should go, and plugin scripts in /usr/share/munin/plugins,
so this is what the tahoe package does.

> I noticed there is no man page for tahoe, and I couldn't find one in the
> upstream source. Has anyone seen any?

Nop, even google don't think it exists. Is it something that might block
the package upload? We should consider sending one upload anyway but I was
hoping it could be delayed for another later upload.

> Lintian also complained about this:
>
> W: tahoe-lafs source: dh-clean-k-is-deprecated
>
> Info: This package calls dh_clean -k in its <tt>debian/rules</tt> file
>  and declares a debhelper compatibility version of at least 7.
>  .
>  debhelper 7 deprecated dh_clean -k in favour of dh_prep.
>
> The dh_clean -k is in the install target in debian/rules, replacing with
> dh_prep seems to be fine

Last time I checked lintian was only complaining about the missing
manpage, but I might have forgotten to run it against the last package
version where I did bump the debhelper compatibility.

> The debian/rules is somewhat old-style, and could probably be converted
> to the new debhelper methods that make most of the commands listed go
> away, but that isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I like how the new debian/rules style looks clean. We should maybe
consider this for the next upload, when we'll have some feedback from the
ubuntu maintainer.

> I also figured out how to use pristine-tar with gitpkg, I found you can do this:
> git config gitpkg.pre-export-hook /usr/share/gitpkg/hooks/pristine-tar-pre-export-hook
>
> and now 'gitpkg master' will generate the orig.tar.gz:
>
> micah at algae:~/debian/tahoe$ gitpkg master
> pristine-tar checkout ../deb-packages/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs_1.8.2.orig.tar.gz
> /usr/bin/pristine-tar: successfully generated ../deb-packages/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs_1.8.2.orig.tar.gz
> git archive exporting master
> preparing ../deb-packages/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs-1.8.2
> dpkg-source -b tahoe-lafs-1.8.2
> dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
> dpkg-source: warning: patches have not been applied, applying them now (use --no-preparation to override)
> dpkg-source: info: applying remove_upstream_setup_deps.diff
> dpkg-source: info: applying exclude_buildtest_package.diff
> dpkg-source: info: building tahoe-lafs using existing ./tahoe-lafs_1.8.2.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: info: building tahoe-lafs in tahoe-lafs_1.8.2-1.debian.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: info: building tahoe-lafs in tahoe-lafs_1.8.2-1.dsc

Nice trick, thanks to share.

> Everything builds find and looks like it installs in a good
> location. Without the zfec package, I couldn't install the tahoe-lafs
> package to do some tests with that, but hope that will be soon!

Yeah, hope so too. Nobody answered to my mail to the debian-python list,
but I have just been accepted in the python-apps project on alioth, and
I should now have an access to their svn. I have some work to finish on the
zfec package and will push it asap. (thought I could dump the few bits of
knowledge I had of this VCS... :/)

I'll try to dump my todo/thoughts on this list soon, wasn't able to do so
before leaving.

bert.