[Webmin-maintainers] Re: [webmin-devel] modern perl practices (fwd)

Jaldhar H. Vyas Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:02:16 -0500 (EST)

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jamie Cameron <jcameron@webmin.com>
To: webadmin-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: 18 Dec 2004 09:19:53 +1100
Subject: Re: [webmin-devel] modern perl practices

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 02:25, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> Jamie,
>
> I believe you said once that the reason for the style of perl coding in
> webmin is because of the wide range of platforms it has to support not all
> of which might have an uptodate version of perl.  However we noticed that
> web-lib.pl includes at least one "my" variable -- a perl 5 feature.  Was
> that an oversight or are you abandoning the idea of supporting really old
> perl versions?  If the latter, would you be willing to accept a patch to
> use strict everywhere and my variables?  Later on, perhaps bigger changes
> could be made to bring webmin up to modern perl5 coding style but nothing
> so drastic that it would require bleeding edge perl versions.

Actually, the real reason for using some old Perl constructs is lazyness
rather than compatability :-) However, I do plan to undertake a major UI
and code clean-up early next year, and as part of that all 'local'
variables will be replaced with 'my' ... except in those few cases where
'local' is actually the right thing to do.

I would happily access a patch or series of patches that does some of
this conversion.. I'd suggest doing them one module at a time though ..

 - Jamie