[Shootout-list] Broken windows

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:34:04 -0700

Just a general note:  I wanted to apologize to everyone for not being
as responsive lately as I like to be.  I recently left my job for a new
(more exciting) job, which means I'm trying to make a good impression,
and therefore not sneaking so many looks at the state of the project
every day ;-)

At any rate, I have added a few new things lately (a couple of new
tests,
created by the devious Bengt Kleberg, the Chicken Scheme system, and
the newLISP system).  I also promised a few other language additions,
which I will try to get to in the next few days.

Now, on to the specifics:

On 2004-09-18 20:53:06 -0700 Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The main obstacles are the broken log pages:
> - without being able to see why a program failed on the test machine,
> there's no way practical approach to fixing it (we just have to badger
> Brent for that information)

Sorry!  I'm trying to add the 'tmp' directories now, which include the
runlog and make information.  I'm just going to include the runlog
and the output from each program.  That's what I usually use to figure
out why a program failed, and it should be sufficient.  We'll need to
add
another link on the page (instead of just 'log' we should also show
'output'.

> - without seeing how a program was compiled we have a very partial
> understanding of the performance measurements.

I think the log includes this.  Please let me know if it doesn't
provide
sufficient info.

> imo Increasing the test size has been success (Although String
> Concatention is still way off the scale). Now we just need to figure
> out what the timing resolution we have on the test machine - I'm
> quietly confident that it's worse than the 0.0001s that we present ;-)
> (Probably 0.01s maybe 0.001s.)

Isaac -- I'm sorry to keep ducking this issue.  I ran the test and
found that
the resolution was 0.01s, as you suspected.  I'll need to correct that
as well.

I also want to apologize for not dealing with your various website
suggestions.
I agree with your ideas about simplifying the layout and graphs, and
making the pages more accessible to users with lower resolutions (or
text-only
browsers).

Okay, so just a big note full of apologies to everyone!  :-)  As I
write this,
I'm busily adding the tmp directories, so in an hour or so you should
be able
to access them from the main website.  Let me know if you find any
problems.

Thanks,

-Brent